The Sindh cabinet on Thursday approved emergency off-budget funding for the long-delayed Karachi Red Line BRT project to accelerate construction work on a key section of the corridor.
According to a statement issued by the CM House, the Frontier Works Organisation (FWO) has been awarded the contract for the 12.85-kilometer stretch from Numaish Chowrangi to Mosamiyat after the previous contractor was removed over delays and non-compliance.
The cabinet approved the direct engagement of the FWO under a government-to-government arrangement and set a 90-day deadline for the completion of mixed-traffic lanes, underpasses, elevated structures, and drainage infrastructure along University Road.
The statement said the FWO had already deployed personnel and heavy machinery to begin work aimed at easing traffic congestion and restoring the corridor.
Briefing the media after the cabinet meeting, Senior Minister Sharjeel Inam Memon said the cabinet had also approved several administrative and development decisions.
He said the cabinet approved more than Rs. 916.1 million for food arrangements in prisons across Sindh and also approved a new legal framework for the management of Jinnah Postgraduate Medical Centre (JPMC) and National Institute of Child Health (NICH).
According to the minister, the cabinet also approved a uniform postgraduate admissions system for government medical institutions with an allocation of Rs. 4.739 billion for 3,794 training seats.
📢 For the latest Auto news, videos and analysis join ProPakistani's WhatsApp Group now!
Follow ProPakistani on Google News & scroll through your favourite content faster!