Blocked culverts, poorly planned infrastructure, overflowing drains, and unauthorized cuts worsened the recent flooding across parts of Lahore and Gujranwala divisions, according to an internal report by the Punjab Irrigation Department.
The report said heavy monsoon rains between July 25 and August 1 inundated nearly 2,729 square kilometers, including around 1,449 square kilometers between July 25 and 27.
The Gujranwala irrigation zone, which also covers parts of Sheikhupura district, recorded average monsoon rainfall of 579mm, compared with its normal average of 240mm.
The worst-hit areas included Ferozwala and Muridke in Sheikhupura, along with Sialkot, Narowal, Zafarwal, Sambrial, Daska, and Gujranwala.
According to the report, heavy rainfall generated flood flows beyond the design capacity of several nullahs and drains, causing overtopping, breaches, and widespread flooding in urban and rural areas.
The Dek Diversion Channel recorded a peak discharge of 50,350 cusecs, well above its designed capacity of 35,200 cusecs. A total of 99 drains overflowed at 131 vulnerable locations, resulting in breaches and unauthorized cuts.
The report identified poorly planned development along nullahs and drains as another major reason for the flooding, saying such construction had obstructed natural waterways.
It noted that hundreds of culverts were built beneath roads and railway lines during the British colonial period to allow rainwater to drain naturally. However, many were later sealed as urban areas expanded and populations increased.
The report also said local residents made unauthorized cuts at several locations to divert accumulated rainwater into drains that were already carrying water beyond their capacity.
Sheikhupura Deputy Commissioner Rana Adeel Tassawur endorsed the findings, saying these cuts contributed to the flooding of large rural and semi-urban areas in Ferozwala and Muridke.
He also blamed poorly planned urban development and the closure of old culverts for delaying the drainage of rainwater.
According to the deputy commissioner, some culverts beneath motorways and railway infrastructure had been closed by local residents, including farmers, forcing authorities to reopen them.
He said floodwater had almost reached the level of the Lahore-Sialkot Motorway at some locations because of blocked drainage routes.
Tassawur said he had proposed the construction of embankments to protect low-lying areas, particularly Pathan Colony and other vulnerable locations in Ferozwala tehsil.
The Irrigation Department said a comprehensive study would be needed to identify long-term measures for managing flood flows through nullahs and the drainage network. It also proposed converting existing drainage systems into seepage-cum-stormwater drains.
Get the latest news and stories wherever you prefer.
Add ProPakistani to Preferred Sources and see more of our stories in Google Search and Top Stories.
Shares